Block and Strike won the 2017 Rainbow Award for Best Bisexual Contemporary Romance!
Block and Strike is my first solo novel and a book that will always be important to me for two very special reasons: Max and Jake. Max’s story is one I found very difficult to write. He’s not a typical hero, but his journey is one of strength and resolve. It’s my message to all of those who struggle to make noise. To live out loud.
Jake’s bisexuality is only one aspect of his character and not one I intended to dwell upon. Yet his struggle has always been due to what he considers a duality of being. Having him accept himself at the end of the book was a wonderful moment as a writer. To have Block and Strike recognized for Jake’s personal journey is equally rewarding.
Here are the remarks from the judges:
- Excellent pacing, well-rounded characters, and while the subject matter is not light and fluffy, it is handled well and believable, and the writing is so addictive I had trouble putting the book down.
- Excellent! Possibly the best new novel of the season! Writer Jensen tells a story with ease. A+
- I was drawn into this book, hook line and sinker, since the phrase “Shruggy McShruggerson shrugged.” The author writes so well, pulling you in with witty remarks and snappy comebacks, engaging characters and smart dialogue, breathless sexual tension and riveting sensuality. Nothing felt forced or unrealistic. Oh, the feels. So many feels. Can’t count how many times I cried, laughed out loud, and aww’ed. Loved this.
Comments like these are what makes it all worthwhile, and I’m so glad those who read and judged my book enjoyed the story. Thank you, and thanks to Elisa Rolle for organizing and administrating the award.
Congratulations are also in order for the second and third place winners, runner-up, and finalists:
2) The Art of Three Erin McRae & Racheline Maltese
3) Defenseless A.J. Rose
4) All the Way to Shore by CJane Elliott
5) Afraid to Fly (Anchor Point #2) by L.A. Witt
6) Splinter (Significant Brothers #1) by E. Davies
You can read the rest of the judges comments here: https://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/5199720.html
One thought on “Block and Strike is a Rainbow Award Winner!”